Sunday, March 15, 2009

I Went Walking


I Went Walking
Sue Williams

illustrated by Julie Vivas

My Rating: 4 out of 5

Genre: Picture Book/Predictive Pattern

I Went Walking, is a fun, cumulative tale about a small boy who sets off on a walk and spies different types of animals along the way. By the time the reader gets to the end of the book, the little boy has quite a funny little parade going. The illustrations in this book are vibrant water color pictures that make the animals come to life. The only thing that I don't really like about the illustrations is the boy himself - and the only reason I know it's a boy is because of the book's description on the back cover.

In spite of the slightly grotesque boy, this is a great picture book to read aloud in the Kindergarten classroom. The predictive text gives the students the chance to read chorally with the teacher, teaching inflection and fluency. At the end of the book, there is even an opportunity to practice identifying all of the animals and have some fun practicing their animal sounds. Overall, a fun and lively book to read aloud, and I don't think the kids will mind the little boy as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that I found you. I have a 3 year old and I need great ideas. Thanks.Stop by mine and follow if you like

    ReplyDelete